Plugins are optional Python modules that extend or modify base VisiData's functionality. Once configured, plugins will be available upon every
Known plugin homes
- saulpw's repo
- jsvine's repo
- anjakefala's repo
- ajkerrigan's repo
- ...and let us know about yours! Advice for making plugins.
How to use/activate a plugin
- Make your plugin directory:
mkdir -p ~/.visidata/plugins
- Copy the plugin Python file there:
cp myplugin.py ~/.visidata/plugins
- Add a line to your ~/.visidatarc to import the plugin:
- Install the dependencies for the plugin.
For plugins that the VisiData core maintenance team curates, the dependencies can be found in the
pydeps attribute in the plugins.json.
For example, the plugin vfake contains commands for creating columns with anonymised data.
To install it
vfake/from the repo to
pip3 install fakerto install its dependency faker.
From within VisiData
We maintain a list of plugins which can be downloaded and installed from within the application itself. To incorporate a plugin into this list, add it to plugins.jsonl, and create a PR off of the
To install a plugin, and its dependencies, from within VisiData:
- Press Space, and then type
open-pluginsto open the PluginsSheet.
- Launch the vdmen with
vdon the commandline (do not provide a source). Press
Enteron the row referencing the plugins sheet.
- To download and install a plugin, move the cursor to its row and press
- To uninstall a plugin, move the cursor to its row and press
Adding a plugin performs all the manual steps above, automatically.
Removing a plugin will delete its import from
~/.visidata/plugins/__init__.py. It will not remove the plugin itself from ~/.visidata nor any of its dependencies.