Recently, Saul has pushed a re-work of the CLI options to the
develop branch. I am particularly excited about this change, and so I wanted to cover it in detail.
I am going to be referencing two options;
-f, alias for
-d, alias for
By default, VisiData deduces the filetype of a source from its extension.
-f allows you to manually declare the filetype, overriding deduction by extension.
-d sets the delimiter for TSV files.
vd --helpwill now open the manpage
- VisiData now supports the setting of sheet-specific options, as well as global, through the CLI.
vd -f json foo.json.gznow applies to the inner filetype.
Historically, if you did,
vd -f csv foo.tsv bar.csv
-f would then get applied as a global option to every source.
There was no way to communicate to VisiData distinct filetypes for each source.
With the new additions, you can do this,
vd -f tsv foo.tsv -f csv bar.csv
-f tsv would be applied to foo.tsv, and
-f csv would be applied to bar.csv.
How Sheet-Specific CLI Options Work
--options will apply as sheet-specific options to the sources which follow them.
- The final setting for a given option will be considered the CLI-given override setting. It will be applied to all sources loaded by the CLI, if that source does not have its own sheet-specific setting. This means that if an option is only set once, it will be applied to all of the sources.
- If an option is preceded by
-git will be set globally for all sheets in the session, just like in the previous versions of VisiData. Some special options, like
-p(replay), are always going to be global, and will not require the
To specify a different delimiter for each file,
vd -d '|' pipes.tsv -d ',' commas.tsv
To set a global delimiter,
vd pipes.tsv commas.tsv -g -d '|' vd -g -d '|' pipes.tsv commas.tsv
To specify a filetype for all of the files provided through the CLI,
vd foo bar -f tsv
- there is no way to make an option apply only to the immediately following source
- nor a way to unset an option after setting it
[written by Anja Boskovic 2020-07-07]
[updated by Anja Boskovic 2020-07-26]